Fr. William O’Malley, SJ, has release a new book entitled The Week that Opened Forever, in which he presents a dramatic retelling of the Passion of Christ along with questions and meditations for the reader. To do this, Fr. O’Malley starts with an overview of Jesus’s years of ministry and then goes into Jesus’ last days. Instead of taking a removed look at Jesus’ death and resurrection, Fr. O’Malley uses Ignatian contemplation to set the stage for the reader’s journey with Christ.
Fr. O’Malley is currently a professor of religion at Seattle University. He has written numerous award-winning books on spirituality such as Holiness, Help My Disbelief, and Connecting with God.
As Christmas week comes to a close, we invite you to view just some of many images of peace, warmth and Christ shared by Jesuit high schools and apostolates in the region.
If you’d like to submit a photo of your own that provides a glimpse of Christmas spirit, please send your name, photo and a description to email@example.com.
The Jesuit Collaborative is running an Advent Meditation series in Boston, New York and Washington, DC. Each evening starts at 6:30 with a guided, one-hour meditation and will be followed by a reception to celebrate the season.
- Boston (Dec. 3) An Ignatian Advent Meditation with Fr. William Barry, SJ
- Manhatthan (Dec. 9) The Ignatian Schola Christmas Concert
- Staten Island (Dec. 10) An Ignatian Advent Meditation with Fr. Edward Quinnan, Sj, and Sr. Anita Gramer, CSJB
- Washington, DC (Dec. 12) An Ignatian Advent Meditation with Fr. Charles Currie, SJ
Massachusetts: St. Ignatius parish in Chestnut Hill, Mass., with be having Taizé prayer on Monday evenings (Dec. 2, 9, 16 and 23). Click here to learn more.
New York: The Church of St. Francis Xavier in New York City has a listing of events going on during the Advent/Christmas season including:
- Lessons and Carols (Dec. 15 at 7:00 p.m.)
- Advent Reconciliation (Dec. 16 at 7:00 p.m.)
- Christmas Eve Family Mass with Christmas Pageant (Dec. 24 at 4:00 p.m. with musical prelude at 3:30 p.m.)
Online Resources: The New England Province has produced an Advent podcast series that can be listened to here.
The National Jesuit Conference has gathered a listing of various online resources. Click here to view them.