During the next six days, a group of benefactors and friends of the Jesuits will be traveling throughout the Holy Land to visit Jesuit works in that region, attend Pope Francis’ Mass in Amman, Jordan, on May 24 and tour the historic and religious sites of Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Jericho, Nazareth and elsewhere.
Travelers will include V. Rev. Myles Sheehan, SJ, provincial of the New England Province, Gabriele Delmonaco, vice president for advancement and communications for the New England and New York Provinces; and five benefactors from California, Maryland, Massachusetts and New York. The group will be led by Fr. Michael Linden, SJ, superior of the Jesuit community in Jordan.
The pilgrimage promises to be a meaningful and moving experience, with an itinerary that includes:
- A visit and tour of the Jesuit Refugee Center in Amman, Jordan
- The papal Mass at Amman International Stadium
- Following in the footsteps of Jesus throughout the region
- A walk to Mount Zion and a visit to the last supper room, as well as King David’s tomb and the birthplace of St. John the Baptist
- A trip to Nazareth to visit the Basilica of the Annunciation and the site of Joseph’s carpentry shop
- A visit to Petra, the city in south Jordan known for its rock-hewn architecture and regarded as one of the seven wonders of the world
“From my prior trips to the region, it’s amazing to realize that these sites are right in front of you,” said Mr. Joseph Hester, a traveler with the group. “Being in the Holy Land is a great realization of the historical and actual reality of the scriptures.”
Fr. Sheehan will be praying for Jesuit supporters and friends of the Society of Jesus at the Church of the Nativity, in Bethlehem (marking the site of Jesus’ birth), the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, in Jerusalem (marking the site of Jesus’ death and resurrection) and during the papal Mass in Amman. Readers are invited to send prayer intentions to firstname.lastname@example.org to be remembered at these sites in the Holy Land throughout this journey.
Click here to view photos and more from the first portion of the trip, including the Papal Mass. Click here to view a photo and information on the second portion of the trip, including Madaba and Jericho. Click here to view photos and more from the final portion of the trip, including Jerusalem, Nazareth, Bethlehem and Jordan.